Welcome to The Creativeness Within Me

I hope you will enjoy browsing through this blog and looking at My Writings, Photography and Paintings. Painting is a fairly new enterprise but I will take pictures of them as I go along to assess improvement (if there is any). But the point is in enjoying what we do and hoping that what we have to offer brings some pleasure or interest to others, or just plain curiousity.

If you like The Creativeness Within Me you may wish to go to my other blogs: http://www.sbehnish.blogspot.com (Talk, Tales, Thoughts and Things) which is about motivational topics, travel, parenting ... and other things, ttp://www.progressofabraininjury.blogspot.com which is, as the name suggests, about brain injuries and http://www.sebehnish.blogspot.com which is my travel blog.

Thank you for stopping by.

Sylvia Behnish

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Most Unusual Camping Trip

This Story was Published in 'Our World' in 2005 - In eager anticipation we set off to explore all the nooks and crannies, historical sites, galleries, studios and shorelines of the beautiful area we had chosen to visit. We kayaked and hiked before finally realizing that it was six o'clock and time to find a campground.

Almost missing the sign, faded and nearly obliterated from age and weather, we pulled into the isolated campsite. Picnic tables were covered with moss, payment was on the honour system using damp envelopes which were to be put into a bolted, rusted metal box. Outhouses were devoid of toilet paper and locks were long since useable. The water pumps had signs posted warning users to boil water for a minimum of two hours but were lacking the water to boil.

Finding a site with the least moss on the picnic table, on the river side, we decided to set up camp and were delighted with the thought of our enjoyment at the sound of rushing waters as we slept.

That was the very beginning of our experience.

But first things first. I pushed all the buttons to put up the windows in our van so the mosquitoes wouldn't bother us while we were sleeping. Next I slammed the door against those pesky insects. We gathered damp wood for the fire and set up the camp chairs. Then it was time to start dinner. Back to the van for the stove and cooler. Locked - with keys securely inside.

"You didn't," he tried valiantly not to glare at me but didn't quite succeed.

I had an uncontrollable urge to laugh but was clever enough to know that this was not the time, nor the place, to remind him what a great sense of humour I have. "Can you phone road service?" I tried a smile. The smile didn't work and neither did his cell phone.

"How far do you suppose it is to town? I'd be quite willing to walk with you." I tried another smile. Smiles weren't working today.

"I'll get help." That was the least I could offer - after all it was partly my fault.

"And where do you think you're going to get help? We're in the middle of nowhere."

Another smile. "I'll bet we'll laugh about this tomorrow."

"It isn't tomorrow."

"Are you feeling just a little bit out of sorts today?"

Fortunately for me there was the sound of a car. "Excuse me," I called as they drove past our site. "We have a little problem. I wonder if you can help us."

A very nice young couple got out, pierced and tattooed, with beautifully coloured florescent hair. They were going to be the only other campers in this campground and I was certainly happy to see them.

"I've had that problem myself," he explained as he pulled out a key chain full of keys. Trying Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota and Honda keys, he was finally able to open the door of our Blazer with a Volkswagon key.

Sitting around our smoldering campfire later in the evening, we marveled at our luck of the only other people in the campsite having a key that worked in our car. "I wonder what type of work he does?" I asked.

My partner was getting very good with the 'looks' today.

Ignoring the 'look', I pointed out that there were flashlights moving along on the rocks beside the river. Suddenly there was a loud blast. The sound vibrated up the banks of the river at our feet, seeming to last for many minutes and then utter silence. In our rush to the van, we collided and tripping over wet firewood, we bruised noses and stubbed toes.

With a minimum of discussion, we decided that an early night was just what we needed to enjoy the sounds of the river from the comfort of our mosquito-free van.

Writing, Excerpts and Publications

No comments:

Post a Comment